13 апреля 2011 г.
Casting for Bluefin Tuna in Spain: 10 Tips 'n Tricks
Discover all the tricks!
The Bluefin Tuna is one of the most amazing predators of the Mediterranean Sea and great fish for sport fishing. One of the more spectacular ways of catching these monsters in Spain is casting. Here are 10 tips to catch bluefin tuna and other tuna species casting (individuals up to 60kg).
Try these tricks with our spinning expert in the Ebro Delta!
1. It may sound stupid, but most of our colleagues agree: if the tuna want to bite you'll catch, if they don't want to bite... it's very very hard to tease them. During spring, the tuna feed on very small baitfish like sardines and anchovies (not bigger than 1 inch). Even when you cast your best jig in front of the fish, they won't bite. In this case, be patient and stay calm. Especially when 100's of bluefins are jumping around the boat and none of them like your bait.
2. When tuna don't want to bite during spring (because they're only interested in small life bait), we've had some good results with buck tail jigs. They seem to like blue jigs... Use bucktail jigs with a good hook and give them a nice action: reel it in fast, stop, let it sink for 2 seconds, etc...
3. Never underestimate the strength of a bluefin tuna. Even if you like light tackle, use 50lb popping or jigging rods, strong reels like Daiwa Salitiga 6500, Dogfight, Shimano Stella 18000 or 20000 etc.
4. Use braided mainline of 50lb or 60lb. You should have at least 250m or 300m on your reel.
5. Use a strong nylon leader (80lb - 100lb) which should be longer than the estimated size of the tuna. True, it's a pain to cast we these long leaders, but the tuna hits the line with its tail and could cut the line.
6. Make a good knot between your leader and the braided main line. Bimini or jigging knots like shown on this video.
7. Use strong swivels.
8. Try - if possible - to keep the fight as short as possible. The longer the fight, the more the fish suffers.
9. Use a large landing net to land the fish. If you cover the eyes of the tuna, it will relax him. It's better to not land fish over 50kg (110 lb) and to unhook these monsters next to the boat. Reanimate them and release them.
10. Make a few pictures and release the fish as fast as possible. Keep the memory, not the fish!